Friday, January 23, 2009

My Eternal Family

I'm still trying to come up with an idea for How Firm a Foundation next month but nothing's come to me yet. I do have My Eternal Family all planned out since I had to present this song to our Stake back in November. Here's my plan:

Attention Getter: I have several disposable cups that I have taped my images to. Have one child come up and put on my Bob the Builder (construction hat and vest) outfit to be our "builder." Talk about each image and what it means as the child builds the cups into a pyramid. Ask the child to take one cup away from the bottom row (reinforce foundation theme from How Firm a Foundation) and see what happens.

myeternalfamilystackinggame

Hopefully the pyramid will collapse and then we can talk about how we need to work hard everyday doing all these things to keep our families strong.

Have the pianist play the verse (stopping at the chorus) and tell the kids to listen closely for the repeated rhythm pattern. (I do this a lot in our primary so my kids know exactly what I'm talking about - you may need to explain rhythm ahead of time to them.) After we've listened to the verse see if any knows what the rhythm is. Put up the rhythm strip so the rest of the kids can see it.

myeternalfamilyrhythmstrip

Briefly go over the long notes and short notes on the strip and clap the rhythm for the kids. Have them clap with you a few times until they get it. Then have everyone clap or pat their laps while the pianist plays.

Next sing the verse to the kids while putting up the pictures.

myeternalfamilyv1

Sing through the verse together while pitch leading until they get it.

Have another child come up to be the builder for the chorus. For the chorus I'm just planning on doing some simple actions since we'll be singing it a lot and they can catch on quick.

My Heavenly Father sent me here (arms spread open wide)

And He knows I can be (point to head for "knows" and then point to self for "I")

Strong & righteous (arms lifted and flexed to show off our muscles)

as I build (hammering action to the beat of the music)

my eternal family (put arms out to the side like you're wrapping your arms around your family members' shoulder)

Go over entire song and if you have time take down a picture and see if they can remember it without them.

I'll do the same thing for the second verse the next week after reviewing the first verse. Here is the picture order for the second verse.

myeternalfamilyv2

I've drew most of these pictures myself on the computer, printed them out on a piece of cardstock each (they're big so the kids can see them!), laminated the fronts, and stuck magnets to the back.

I can't give out the clipart I used for the praying girl, sister missionaries, house, Book of Mormon, and the family (don't want to be a pirate!), but here is a link to download the images I drew.

http://www.4shared.com/file/82159423/c7020052/myeternalfamily.html

This is the clipart CD I used for the other images if you want to check it out. I use it ALOT!!!!

image

http://deseretbook.com/store/product/4963235

6 comments:

  1. thanks for the great ideas! i'll definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your style! Thanks for all the great ideas and I can't wait to see what you come up with for HOw firm a Foundation. I am really struggling with that one! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your great idea. This is so cute and I love your art work. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks soooo much for your awesome ideas and for putting them onto a blog - it will save me a lot of time and help with ideas for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your help and the reminder about the great clip art cd I forgot I had.

    ReplyDelete